Monday, February 20, 2012

FoW Movie Trailers Rundown

FoW Movie Trailers Rundown
By David Hammock & Stephan Rabbitt

The Amazing Spider-Man



Rabbitt: I'm glad Andy Murray has chosen to give up tennis and focus on acting since there is a 0% chance he is ever going to win a major, it seems. I'm not really up to speed on the entire story of Spidey, but from the cartoons I remember that he had the cartridges to shoot web from his arms. That appears to be back, which I'm sure will please Team Spidey. I don't know enough of the comic to understand where Mary Jane is in this movie... I guess she isn't around? I'm sure this will be very entertaining and make tons of money. People are going to want to get that awful taste out of their mouths from Spiderman 3 and I'm excited to see what Garfield brings to the table as new Spidey. He seems to be spending in inordinate amount of time sans mask, though, no?

Hammock: Yeah, there was definitely a healthy dose of unmasked Spidey in this trailer, but with great hair comes great responsibility... they had to show it off. Though I'm still a little upset that the studio didn't pick Donald Glover to be Spider-Man, I have to admit, the trailer looks as the title suggests... amazing. Spider-Man is one of the cooler superheroes out there, so if Hollywood commits some real talent to it, it's bound to be pretty good. Mary Jane isn't around because Gwen Stacey is the love interest in this one, Stephan. I don't read comic books, but from what I've read about comic books, whether Spidey's true love is Stacey or the ginger is a very polarizing issue. Doesn't matter much to me which girl gets Peter Parker's spidey senses tingling, but I'd say this reboot looks promising and is hopefully more on par with the original Spider-Man movie and Spider-Man 2 than the forgettable third installment.

Safe House



Hammock: At first, Denzel's hairdo made me think this was a trailer for He Got Game 2. It's not. It is, however, another movie about the CIA where the good agent turns bad, but maybe he's not bad after all, or maybe he is, but he's probably good, but is he? The good news for Denzel is that he has Van Wilder protecting him because that kid went to college for like ten years and is therefore prepared for difficult situations like the ones in this trailer. Write that down.

Rabbitt: If this trailer had no soundtrack, my review would be indifferent, at best. But once "No Church in the Wild" gets going, I have a suddenly brighter outlook on the movie. You are 100% correct that we have seen this movie a thousand times. I usually give Denzel the benefit of the doubt, though. As long as no trains are involved, he rarely lets me down (I'm looking at you Pelham 1 2 3 & Unstoppable). But, even if this movie sucks, it will give Jay Pharoah some good material on SNL. So, it's a win, win.


The Kid with a Bike



Rabbitt: This film stars Jeremie Renier as father of the kid with a bicycle. Personally, I would prefer a movie that stars his English-name counterpart, Jeremy Renner. But, we have a Sundance and Cannes sighting, so I'm sure this will be a good movie. This thought is reinforced by the appearance that they spent about 12 Euros on the entire cast's wardrobe for the entire movie, so they should have plenty of money left over for other things. They could have called it, "The Kid in the Red Shirt" and it may have been more relevant to the trailer.

Hammock: I was under the impression that all French movies have Audrey Tautou in them.

Tyler Perry's Good Deeds



Hammock: "You so rich, you ain't even know how much a gallon of milk cost!" You just got served, Tyler Perry, and not by a butler like you're accustomed. Double burn! That'll teach you to be affluent and eloquent. Actually, I don't know how much a gallon of milk costs either, but it's not because I'm rich... I'm lactose intolerant. I'm also Tyler Perry movie intolerant. I've been that way ever since I was denied entrance into one of his movies a few years ago. Turns out it was only For Colored Girls.

Rabbitt: I enjoy that Tyler Perry is branching out to movies that don't have Madea in the title. He is clearly a very smart guy, both in this movie and in real life. I don't know why he keeps doing Madea movies. Probably because they all seem to make $50+ million and they must cost at least a gallon of milk to make...whatever that is.

David Hammock and Stephan Rabbitt claim they could beat up Tobey Maguire but think Andrew Garfield seems pretty cool. They are both regular contributors to Fistful of Words. you can follow them on Twitter @david_hammock and @itsrabbitt.

No comments:

Post a Comment