Thursday, February 2, 2012

Black History Month Great Black Person #2



Black History Month Great Black Person #2 of 29:
Cool Runnings/the Jamaican Bobsled Team

Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up! It's bobsled time! COOL RUNNINGS! When I was a kid, this mantra applied to everything. Just replace the word bobsled with any activity and you're instantly pumped. It was the original five-hour energy drink. I've always related to Cool Runnings because like the characters in the movie, I too used to dream of being an Olympic sprinter. Sadly, much like the Jamaicans (who tripped and fell during the Olympic qualifying race), my hopes were also dashed by tragedy (the day I realized I was white). Yes, it's fair to say the Jamaican bobsled team has had a profound impact on my life. They taught me a lot about friendship, a lot about determination, and a little about dreadlocks. So, does Cool Runnings deserve to be on this list? Yeah, mon.

No comments:

Post a Comment