Wednesday, February 12, 2014

BHM 2014: Martin Luther King Jr. Day


I have a dream that my future children will one day live in a nation where they can miss more than one day of school each year because of a black person. Until that day, at least we have Martin Luther King Jr. Day to look forward to each year. The third Monday of every January, grateful kids, teachers, and government employees get a well-deserved break from school and work. But why stop there? There are plenty of other African-Americans for whom I'd gladly miss a day of work. Some such African-Americans include: well, just about anyone. You'd have to be a pretty terrible individual for me to not want to take a day off work on your behalf. That's why I find it hard to believe that some people are still opposed to MLK Day; I mean, regardless of how you feel about Dr. King, who doesn't like a three-day weekend? I know I do. The haters can hate all they want, but every third Monday in January, I'm shouting "free at last, free at last; thank God Almighty, I'm free at last!"

No comments:

Post a Comment