Sunday, February 9, 2014

BHM 2014 Honors: Black Parts of Crossword Puzzles



Every day during my third year of college, my friend Tom and I would try to complete the New York Times Crossword Puzzle during our incredibly boring Atmospheric Science class. We never did. You would think during one of those 90-minute sessions we would have been able to piece together all the clues, but no dice. Why? Because of all those darn white squares. No, I don't know who starred in the first silent movie. No, I don't know the former capital of Uzbekistan. No, I don't know who wrote the Cliffs Notes version of Moby Dick. I thought it was Cliff, but it's 7 spaces long and starts with a V. We never finished because we just didn't know enough to fill in all those little white squares. Know what we didn't have trouble with? The black squares. Those tiny, dark spaces were little freebies strewn across the perplexing grids. It's as if the black spaces said to us, "Hey guys. We know you've been trying hard. Let us take over for a little while. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the fact that we collectively look like little Tetris pieces." Sigh, I know I speak for Tom when I say I so badly wanted to finish just one puzzle for those little bastions of respite, but it never happened. Thanks anyway, little already-filled-in black spaces, for holding it down... and across.

No comments:

Post a Comment