Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Black History Month Great Black Person #18 of 28


Black History Month Great Black Person #18 of 28:
Downtown Abbey


No, that's not a typo. I know the popular BBC period drama is named Downton Abbey, but that's not of what I speak. Downtown Abbey is a show I'm pitching to BET. It's also a drama in the same vein as Downton, but unlike Downton, there will actually be black people in the show. My series is set in the fictional town of Detroit, England and follows the Cosby family as they struggle to maintain ownership of their inner city, three bedroom castle amid the social and financial impediments of the day. Instead of playing cricket and eating bread pudding like the characters in Downton, the Downtown characters all run track and eat at the famous British fast food restaurant, Cathedral's Chicken. I'm not overly optimistic that Downtown Abbey will be a success, but I figure if I can get 10-15 African-Americans to tune in, I'll be outperforming Downton Abbey in the black demographic. It should be noted that in addition to BET, the series will be broadcast in conjunction with PBS and Master P Theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment