Sunday, February 10, 2013

Black History Month Great Black Person #6 of 28



Black History Month Great Black Person #6 of 28:
The Braves' New Outfield

I'm the first to admit that I'm not the most physically fit guy in the world, but I do like to think I have fairly strong arms. Is it because I put in my time at the gym or do tons of push-ups every day? No. It's because I've been doing the Tomahawk Chop since I was in diapers. 14 straight division titles worth of chopping really works out those biceps. Yes, I dare say I'm just about the biggest Atlanta Braves fan you'll ever meet. You can imagine, then, how excited I am about the Bravos' starting outfield heading into this season. With Jason Heyward and the Upton brothers roaming the yard, the Braves boast not only the most athletic, but also the most culturally progressive outfield in the majors. Three black guys in the same outfield? I'm pretty sure this is exactly what Martin Luther King was envisioning when he had that dream. Okay, maybe not exactly that... but it feels like a dream come true to me. So thanks Braves outfield, for giving me renewed hope heading into this baseball season; hope, that I pray won't be dashed by another inexplicably botched infield fly rule call in the playoffs.

P.S. - Though he's not black, I'd like to give an honorary shout-out to Martin Prado. I, along with the rest of Atlanta, will truly miss seeing you play every position on the baseball field again this season. Happy Venezuelan History Month, Martin!

No comments:

Post a Comment