Thursday, January 5, 2012

TKAA's 2011 Favorites Playlist



One of my favorite stations on XM Radio is Sirius XM U, which is pretty much the indie station. Now as much as I like listening to a station free from Bieber, Gaga, and anything ending in MFAO, the station's tagline irritates me. The slogan goes something like, "Bringing you the most IMPORTANT music, first." Important? What does that even mean? I was unaware of the fact that some music is important than other music. We now interrupt this Band of Horses song to bring you an important message from Fallout Boy. According to lead singer, Patrick Stump, and I quote, "This ain't a scene, it's a [gosh darn] arms race." I repeat, this is NOT a scene, but instead, an arms race. We now send you back to your thoroughly unimportant Band of Horses song."


I love music and I can sometimes be a bit of a snob about it myself, but truth is, music is one of the most subjective things in the world. That's why, at each year's end, I make a "Favorites" mix instead of a "Best Of". I get irritated with music critics and their lists because they can be so pretentious in telling you why certain songs are the best or, ugh, the most important... even if I agree with their choices. Anyway, here are some of my favorite songs from 2011. Some are technical triumphs and some are campy pop songs with a memory attached, but they all remind me of 2011. If you like it, you can download the official TKAA 2011 Playlist on... nowhere.


  • Get Away - Yuck
  • Midnight City - M83
  • Internet Killed the Video Star - Limousines
  • Get It Daddy - Sleeper Agent
  • Holocene - Bon Iver
  • Lorelai - Fleet Foxes
  • The King and All of His Men - Wolf Gang
  • Super Bass - Nicki Minaj
  • Video Games - Lana Del Rey
  • Dancing Crazy - Miranda Cosgrove
  • Candy Girl - Trailer Trash Tracys
  • Whirring - The Joy Formidable
  • Bizness- tUnE-yArDs
  • Marvin's Room - Drake
  • Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair - Arctic Monkeys
  • 6 Foot 7 Foot - Li'l Wayne
  • Sail - AWOLNATION
  • Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
  • Rolling in the Deep - Jamie XX and Childish Gambino
  • U.F.O. - Coldplay
  • Cat Daddy - Rej3ctz
  • Born Alone - Wilco
  • You Know What I Mean - Cults
  • Polish Girl - Neon Indian
  • Ice Cream - Battles
  • You Are A Tourist - Death Cab For Cutie
  • It's Real - Real Estate
  • What You Know - Two Door Cinema Club
  • Cough Syrup - Young the Giant

    and the top 3...

    3. Helena Beat - Foster the People

    2. Young Blood - The Naked and Famous

    1. Tongue-Tied - Grouplove

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting! Loving Fleet Foxes (and not just because they spell "Lorelai" the Gilmore Girls way and not the traditional way). Going to go through your list with the thoroughness it deserves. Thanks for givng me something to do at work. :-)

    ReplyDelete