Sunday, January 29, 2012

FoW Movie Trailer Rundown

Another gem from FoW:

by David Hammock and Stephan Rabbitt


Project X


Rabbitt: I saw this trailer in theaters over the weekend and it got some hearty laughs. There is quite a bit of ridiculousness going on here… not the least of which would be the flamethrower. I have actually been to a Super Bowl party with a flamethrower in attendance, but his name was Goose Gossage. I won’t be seeing this one, David. I did, however, find the MPAA rating and reasoning very entertaining: Rated R for crude and sexual content throughout, nudity, drugs, drinking, pervasive language, reckless behavior and mayhem - all involving teens.

Hammock: This movie looks like it was written and directed by Andrew WK. I'm not adamantly opposed to seeing a "party movie" (on Netflix), but I have this theory that when a movie includes little people/midgets just for the sake of having a little person/midget on screen, it doesn't have a lot going for it. Still, I think it has a decent chance for at least a nomination for Best Party Picture at the 2013 Oscars.

Jeff, Who Lives at Home


Hammock: Let me start out by saying that the background song, "Blood" by The Middle East, is one of my top ten all-time favorite songs. Any trailer is automatically made ten times better just by including that song. Even without it, I'm a fan of Jason Segel, Ed Helms, and the Duplass brothers, so this is kinda a must-see for me. Sadly, the more I like the trailer, the more boring my analysis, so I'm hoping the next trailer our editor scrounges up contains some good ol' fashioned Channing Tatum or gay Haley Joel Osment.

Rabbitt: Maybe both? Step Up 5 should be casting soon. I’m with you all the way on this one except for being able to identify the background song –color me impressed. Helms, Segel, and Sarandon need no introduction. I most recently saw Judy Greer in The Descendents but still identify her most with her appearances on Arrested Development as Kitty. I’m really hoping for a deleted scene/outtake in which Helms has to “say goodbye to these!”  But seriously, it looks like a great movie.

The Vow


Rabbitt: My turn to identify the background music – Taylor Swift’s "Enchanted!" Somehow, that one isn’t nearly as impressive… and maybe a little embarrassing. This movie honestly doesn’t look terrible and I do like Rachel McAdams. If I got in a car wreck and forgot about the first time I saw it when it was called 50 First Dates and additionally forgot what I thought of Channing Tatum, maybe I’d go see it.

Hammock: To our editor (TS), way to Step Up and get us a Channing trailer. As I've said before, I'm not opposed to the RomCom and this one looks to have some promise. The Vow seems like it's more in league with McAdams' The Notebook, which I liked, than Tatum's Dear John, which I didn't. And Stephan, there's nothing wrong with a little Tay Tay, as long as the rest of the country music genre stays at home

Seeking Justice


Hammock: My friend and I used to have this "game" we played whenever we went to the theater where the goal was to see three consecutive previews that didn't have Nic Cage or a vampire in them. In 2010, that goal was only accomplished twice. No lie. That's how often Nic Cage (and Edward Cullen) puts out a movie. Now, when you're in that many movies, you're gonna have a [few] stinkers: Drive Angry, Season of the Witch, Ghost Rider, Bangkok Dangerous, Next, Knowing. The only Nic Cage movie I've liked recently is Kick-Ass. Still, I like Nic Cage, so maybe Seeking Justice will put an end to his streak of sub-par movies... because Lord knows Ghost Rider 2 won't.

Rabbitt: It’s quite fitting that we end Oscar Nomination week with a Tatum/Cage double-header. Seeking Justice is definitely the best Nic Cage trailer I’ve seen in the last 6 months…then again, even the best sugar-free oatmeal still tastes like cardboard. It’s nice to see January Jones (Mad Men) in a leading role on the big screen and I’m a big fan of Guy Pearce.Memento is one of my all time favorites. I hope for Nic’s sake that you are right and this ends his streak of sub-par movies, but the trailer seems to be lacking something. Oh I know, he didn’t even bother to urinate fire on the title this time.


David Hammock and Stephan Rabbitt are waiting anxiously awaiting Channing Tatum's country album, due out later this year. They are both regular contributors to Fistful of Words. You can follow them @david_hammock and @itsrabbitt.

No comments:

Post a Comment